9 May 2013

Climbing at Ham Hill

Bank holiday Monday Brad and I visited Ham Hill quarry to check out the climbing. I had been to Ham Hill the previous weekend on our hashing camping weekend, but didn't get a chance to check it out. However I did see plenty of Ham stone all over the hill.

The conditions were perfect, a dry warm day was ahead of us - the first in a long time!

The rock is limestone, despite its sandy colour and appearance.  The climbing is like no other limestone I have climbed before though, and the way it has formed has made for some challenging climbing.





We started out on the main wall on the left, and climbed two to three routes around 5a/b grade. Then I tried some very tricky moves on what felt about 5c (maybe 6a but I'm probably getting my hopes up), but I was too pumped out from the other climbs. I'll try and finish it next time!




After some lunch in the pub and a couple of pints later we headed back to climb the soaring arete that rises prominently in the middle of the quarry. After setting up a top rope - and with an audience - I cruised up to the top with little effort until the very last move when I gave up and jumped off. It felt a solid 5a though, and certainly the most enjoyable climb of the day.

Lastly, we finished up the easy chimney climb before calling it a day. But I think we'll be back there soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment