24 March 2014

New Forest Running Festival - Race Report 20 miler

So, Sunday was race day. I have been a little anxious leading up to this race, as I've been unsure about how my IT band would be on the day. The past couple of weeks training has been ok and I've not heard much of a peep out of it....

Saturday I went for a brisk run, just under three miles to warm the legs up for the next day. I got an early night too so I was fresh for the early start, but kept waking up throughout the night anyway.

I arrived at 7.45am as requested, got registered, pinned my number on and strapped the RFID tag to my ankle. I wandered about a bit before the start of the race as I could feel my leg was a little out of sorts. I thought 'oh well, there's nothing I can do, I'm here now so lets just get on with it!'. The plan was to take it slow and steady, run easy.

The race started and we were off! I kept it slow letting people pass me, just testing the water with my leg. It was all going well so far. Just under a km down the road we turned on to the trails and it was in to the forest proper, I started to overtake a few people on the hilly bits (hills are my strength I feel), and carried on plodding away at an easy pace. Which after examining my splits after the race turned out to be about 7:50 min/mile which was way too fast! But it was going well at the time.

After a gentle steady climb I could feel some soreness in my glutes coming on, but it wasn't causing any issues. I kept going for the next few miles and got to the turnaround point where we start heading back towards the start for the second lap. I could feel my IT band getting tighter with every stride. I knew it was imminent. Running down the tarmac I could feeling it getting closer.

Shortly before the last hill before reaching the start again, it went. I had to stop and walk. I got some words of encouragement from other runners as they passed, I smiled and claimed I was fine, after all the sun was out! Just up ahead of me I could see the professional photographer waiting to take a snap of me. I was able to get in to a slow run again and look like I was enjoying it.

I walked up the last hill and got back in to a rhythm going downhill towards the start again. I really felt like giving up there and then, I had pretty much convinced myself over the last couple of miles I was going to DNF, and just do the one lap. As I came through the start again people started clapping and cheering me, which brought a smile to my face and made me believe I can keep going. So I said to myself 'I'll get to the next aid station and see how I feel'. I'd started to pick up the pace again anyway!

I got to the aid station and had some water. That lifted me a bit and I was off again, I was probably running the fasted I had so far! I got to the gentle incline again and the skies were getting darker. Lightly at first, then all HAIL broke loose! Waterproofs on!

I started running with a guy nearly twice my age, who incidentally had run the 50k the day before as well, respect! He was going at a nice pace that I could handle so I kept with him for the next couple of miles.

I got to the next aid station and had another cup of water. Annoyingly it seemed every time I stopped running now, my IT band would start hurting again. So I had to walk it out a bit before I could get going again.

I had got back to the tarmac and set off at a steady pace, knowing the end was in sight now – I knew I could finish it! I got to the last aid station and had two cups of water, then walked out my IT band again before setting off. Another runner passed me by and gave me some words of encouragement, and I soon set off after him.

I came running towards the photographer again, this time with a bigger smile upon my face than before, I was about half a mile from the end, I ran up that last hill and gave the thumbs up to the last marshal before heading to the finish line.

I couldn't muster much of a sprint finish, mainly because I had to slow down before turning in to the field and the finish line. I was awarded with my finishing medal, and I grabbed a few jelly babies as well, which incidentally gave me a head rush!

I sat down and enjoyed the sunshine, watched the winners get their prizes and soaked up the atmosphere. It was a good day. Definitely considering doing it again next year. I'd recommend it to anyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment