21 March 2014

Cheddar Climbing & New Forest Running Fest!

Knight's Climb follows the chimney
system just right of centre on the buttress

Brad and I have decided we need to spend some more time in Cheddar Gorge. So last Saturday off we went!

Our first aim for the day was to climb Knight's Climb, an easy Diff but the best at the grade in the gorge and a classic line - so it had to be done! In fact we've had it on our list for a while now.

After scrambling up to the first tier, I took the first pitch of the climb. After a mossy initial start, a pleasant chimney emerged, then on to a chockstone before reaching the first belay. The second pitch featured a tight chimney to start then opened in to an chossy gully. The last pitch involves climbing on to the top on a pinnacle and stepping across to the last section of rock, with a drop below you back down to the bottom of the gorge! Top climb.







Me at the first belay on Knight's Climb



We inspected a VS and E1 line on the other side of the gorge, but cleaning was required so we headed back down to the road and Brad lead Jill (Severe 4a). A very enjoyable and varied climb with solid gear all the way. 




The cold wind was blowing and the sun was setting, so we called it a day and got a beer at the local pub. A really good day.







Sunday felt a lot warmer, and I was getting in one last long run before my race this weekend. I ran one lap of the course - about 12 miles in total - then did another 4 easy miles a bit after lunch.

Brad on the pinnacle on Knight's Climb



So its now Friday night, and at 9am on Sunday morning I'll be starting my first 20 mile race. I'm looking forward to it, and hope that my IT band issues don't cause me any problems. It's been good the past couple of weeks so fingers crossed. I was planning on wearing my sandals/xero shoes, but the weather is colder than hoped, so I'll be wearing my Merrell Trail Gloves instead.

Bring it on :D



Brad on Jill
Brad on second pitch of Knight's Climb

No comments:

Post a Comment