18 March 2015

North Wales Winter Trip 2015

At the end of February I made my annual trip to find some snow and ice in the British mountains.

My original plan was to head to Scotland, via The Lakes going up and The Peaks on my return south. However shortly before my trip I fractured a rib taking a hard fall whilst out running. So this curbed my ambition slightly, and so I opted for North Wales. I also had the added benefit of friends joining me for the first weekend.

After arriving and pitching my tent, the next day I headed up to Cwm Lloer as it seemed quite white still. I started my way up the grade I Right Hand Y Gully. The snow pack was thawed and kicking steps without crampons was no problem. Nothing was totally frozen, so I enjoyed what was a snowy scramble up to the top of Pen Yr Ole Wen. I did spy Col Gully though which looked much more full of snow, and so me and my friends climbed that the next day. To our surprise the snow was in much better condition being at a slightly higher altitude.

A thwarted attempt at Snowdon in gusts and blizzards was made the next day, and then a lovely hike near Capel Curig the day after.

With the weekend out of the way and my friends off home I pondered what to do next. My tent had not survived the ravages of the gales the day before (which meant I ended up in the B&B for a night), and so I was looking for accommodation elsewhere. I almost headed to the Peaks until I discovered the Llanberis YHA had space, so decided to see what the rest of the week would bring.

To cut a long story short (as I'm tired and my brain isn't functioning properly), I had an excellent day climbing a couple of gullys in the Glyders, a 10 mile mountain run, walked up the Llanberis path to summit Snowdon (that was the first time I'd done that path, but I've now walked all of Snowdon's paths!) and had a great last day bouldering in the sunshine at the RAC and Cromlech boulders.

A splendid week and a half off, and I was thoroughly relaxed by the end. But I do find going away on my own somewhat less fulfilling, it's nice to have someone to share these adventures with. At the end of it, it's just you and the mountain that knows what trials were had. To have someone to share it with enriches the experience so much more, whether that be a partner in life, climbing or a brief acquaintance, the bonds that are made through these occasions are hard to break.

I have however recently joined the local climbing club in Southampton, and have just enjoyed my first trip away with them to the Roaches. More trips are planned in the coming months too!

Here are some photos anyway...





















No comments:

Post a Comment