2 March 2015

Spring

There's usually one day at this time of year, when I go out to the forest for a run and I know Spring is here. That day was yesterday, March 1st.


After spending my holiday up in cold North Wales (post to follow soon), I came back down south and felt the milder air, blue skies and sunshine raining down on me!







I had missed the forest, for it had been sleeping for the past few months. A constant colour, never changing. The fragility of the leafless branches. The darkness of the long nights. But now it's opening its eyes again, feeling the warmth of the sun, stretching it's arms and reaching up - starting to show it's true colours.






Running in the forest over the next few months will be ever changing. I will enjoy my long runs so much more watching the landscape grow. I feel like an observer, explorer even, just passing through. Often I will stop, to watch closely the intricacies of nature. How every ripple of water in this stream is never the same, how the light catches a branch accentuating the most beautiful colours your eyes have ever seen, or how the wind caresses those leaves singing out music of nature.


Then I realise, I am not an outsider, or a being from another world. This is my habitat, I am part of this ecosystem. I respect it for it teaches me that I am not everlasting, I am just as fragile as those naked branches. Surviving, adapting to my environment. I am just an animal the same as any other, living my moment on this earth - and now I need to run, to show it my worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment