27 July 2011

How I Became a Runner

The past few years I have been climbing more and more, but living where I do I cannot just walk out the door and be up at a crag. It's at least an hours drive to the nearest quality rock, and climbing indoors just doesn't excite very much.

So late last year I started looking for another past time, that didn't require travelling somewhere or buying loads of gear.

I wanted something that I could do outdoors. I already enjoyed walking, but wanted more of a challenge.

To cut a long story short I decided to start running. I'd never really been 'a runner', the most running I'd ever done was probably at school where I remember running a lot in sports days.

All I needed to start was some running shoes. So off I went to the local sports store to find some funky looking shoes!

I know I wanted trail shoes as road running didn't inspire me at all, so I had a browse and was recommended some Asics gel cushioned shoes. I tried them on, they felt comfortable - so I got them.

Now it was time for my first run! I'd figured out a 1km loop round my local woods to start me off. I imagined myself gliding effortlessly through the woodland like a wild animal - the reality however was quite different. With every step my knees wobbled about like they had a screw loose, and the bottom of my feet were on fire!

I'd suffered with mild plantar faciitis for a while, mostly trying to correct the problem with orthotics. After reading the back of a well known orthotic brand I was led to believe my feet were broken - not designed to walk on flat surfaces, let alone run on them!

After swapping around some orthotics in my running shoes, and having no luck in relieving the pain I reluctantly gave up running.

Not long after, I was browsing the magazine shelf in our local WH Smith, and picked up a copy of Trail magazine. With it came a free copy of Trail Running magazine as well, so I thought I'd check it out.

Skimming my way through the pages I came upon this man, running across the South Downs (just up the road from me) without any shoes on!

I had stumbled on to the rising popularity of barefoot/minimalist running.

Intrigued to find our more I read this guys book - 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall.

I continued reading and learning more about barefoot running from resources I could find on the internet, and started experimenting with my running form and footwear. I soon learnt about zero-drop shoes (shoes that don't have a raised and cushioned heel) and purchased myself a pair of plimsolls, which became my dedicated running shoes for a while.

Running barefoot may sound mad initially, but we've actually been running barefoot for thousands of years. We evolved to run barefoot. Modern running shoes have only been around since the 70's - a very short time.

Over the months since I started minimal/barefoot running, I have settled in to a good running routine. This month I have clocked up over 50km! A far cry from my wobbly start! The muscles in my feet are now strong and I no longer wear orthotics - which inhibit the natural function of your foot.

I eventually decided to buy some proper running shoes, and opted for the Merrell Trail Glove. They have a thin sole which are extremely flexible, but give just enough protection from big rocks. They also provide a wide toe box so your toes can splay out when you land on the ground.

Here's what I have learnt over the past few months.
  • Learn to run gently barefoot before you think about putting shoes on.
  • Do it slowly and be patient. Allow your body time to adjust.
  • Quicken your cadence to around 180 or more.
  • Bend your knees! They're your shock absorbers.
  • Don't run through pain!

But most of all, have fun!

In the words of McDougall its not about footwear, its about form and 'learning to run gently'.

Some useful links on barefoot/minimal running.

Minimalist Runner
A great forum for newbies to BF running.

Biomechanics of Foot Strikes
The science behind BF running.

Christopher McDougall, Are we born to run?
Chris McDougall at TED - a must watch!

Barefoot Running Style
Running form and drills.

No comments:

Post a Comment