30 October 2014

Clarendon Marathon 2014

A few weeks ago Gem and I took part in the Clarendon Marathon. It follows the Clarendon Way from Salisbury to Winchester, with a few extra loops thrown in to make up the miles.

We entered the race with great enthusiasm months beforehand, but leading up to the event we hadn't got a lot of training in. We did one very long run, running the second half of the Clarendon Way to Winchester, then back again to where we started at Kings Somborne - via country lanes and tracks. We covered 23 miles in the end, the second half in the dark! Another mid-length run was completed the week after as well.

The day came upon us, and we were committed. This was the most relaxed I have ever been starting a race. I had no expectations of myself other than to complete it, but also had the added benefit of Gem's company along the way. I knew I was not the fittest I could have been, but had no doubts about finishing.

The weather was perfect! Cool, a light breeze and some sunshine to help us through. We started easy and kept to our training pace of about 9-10min/miles. The first half went by quite easily and we reached Broughton in around two hours. The jelly beans were starting to be handed out steadily now by the race marshals, and we lapped them up!

Around the half way point I started to feel the tell tale sings of my IT band niggles. I knew it would come at some point, and although rather frustrating I had learnt to deal with it.

The last few miles I struggled with my niggles, Gem started to speed up a little and I did my best to keep up, but she was too fast for me. She did slow up for me though, and we carried on together.

We were just a couple of miles from the finish, and Gem informed me that we could do it in under 4h30mins. This gave me a little boost (along with a glucose tablet) and the mission was on! We were closing in on the last mile when, after an uphill jaunt we reached the last bit of road that led to the finish. As we turned the corner we caught sight of our friends Andy and Lucinda, which gave me a great boost as they cheered us on. Gem was complaining that I was speeding up now!

We hit the last flat and rounded the corner in to the finishing sprint. We crossed the line in about 4h28mins.

I was glad to have completed a marathon at last. The ongoing niggles did put a slight damper on the enjoyment for me, I was disappointed that I wasn't in my best shape - especially when I knew I had been previously. But in the end it has inspired me to improve, sort my injury issues out and go on to do something longer.

Whilst I had big expectations at the beginning of the year, my running calendar has not gone to schedule. I expected to do a marathon back in spring, and complete the 50km ultra race in the Brecons this October. Alas, it was not meant to be.

I have registered my interest in the 100km Race to the Stones next year, and hope to find a 50km to do before that. So watch this space! ;-)







No comments:

Post a Comment