15 February 2015

Adventure, exploration and broken ribs

So, it's been some time since I last posted. Christmas and New Year have been and gone, and the odd little adventure has been had here and there.

The weather over the festive period wasn't too bad, and I did get to Swanage a couple of times practising my rope soloing and aiding. I've also been out trad and sport climbing recently with new friends and with an old one, Brad.




After some months off with ankle surgery and a biking accident he's almost been put back together. Last Saturday we spent some time at Seacombe climbing a few easy trad routes. We started with 'Far from the Madding Crowd', a brilliant three star VDiff which takes a traverse out over the sea on to an arĂȘte, before cruising up it to a ledge and lovely upper wall. Belays were had on rotten fence posts!
We finished the day with 'Percy the Palm', a short but punchy Hard Severe with nice hand jamming and steep climbing. I'd give it a star!




Monday I was out hashing as usual, when I came upon a very smooth bit of tarmac, which took my feet from under me and deposited me on my side. Going down I landed on my left arm, which in turn crushed my ribs, winding me. All was fine after minute or two and I had completely forgotten about the incident until Thursday, when a nagging pain started to appear. After climbing Thursday and Friday nights at the wall I was very sore come yesterday. So for the second time in four months I've fractured another rib (mountain biking accident last time). This has put some what of a downer on my holiday starting in three days time. But hopefully with some rest the soreness will die down a bit over the next few days. Although it will take some weeks to heal properly.

Despite this I am still very much looking forward to my holiday. It's been 14 months since I was last in the mountains, which is very long for me, but this year I am vowing to get back to them more! This will also be a solo mission, as everyone else is tied up with work. I also haven't decided where to go yet, either Glencoe or North Wales. Given my ribs I may opt for North Wales, and a friend of mine will be up there the first weekend, so it will be nice to have some company. But ultimately it will depend on weather, my ribs, and what I feel like doing come Wednesday evening!

Thinking of going back to the mountains has also made me think about one of the aspects of climbing I've missed recently, adventure and exploration.

I recently read an article on Climber by Andi Turner that echoed my thoughts about the subject of adventure. A big part of the mountains that captivated me as a teenager was the unknown, to climb up something not knowing if you'd make it or have to retreat. Part of me from time to time gets tired with bagging routes and ticking off climbs, measuring oneself against grades to feel like you have achieved something, or progress. Whilst this satisfies a lot of people, I really yearn for the adventure, to explore not only the rock or mountain but to explore what's inside yourself. I am not overly fussed with how hard the climb can be, or particularly the style it is climbed in. If I come upon something too hard for me, I'm happy to aid past it (cleanly of course) to easier ground. For me it's more about the journey rather than the end result, or grade if you will. To me that's what I find romantic about climbing, I love reading tales of tragedy and triumph on the mountain. Relationships forged through adversity, to me that's what life is all about.
So on my holiday I hope to renew this romance and seek what I've been missing for some time.

It's going to be an adventure!


2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a lovely holiday and find what you are looking for. take care and look after those ribs ! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a lovely holiday and find what you are looking for. take care and look after those ribs ! Xxx

    ReplyDelete